On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 11:07:42AM -0600, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> With 256mb of physical memory I could get up to 30% usage of swap with
> enough apps open, but now that I have 512mb I have yet to touch the swap
> partition. On my 384mb machine, I would also get 0% swap usage.

My development machine at work has 512 MB of RAM.  At the moment I
don't even have a web browser running (though I do have a single page
word processing document open in Open Office), yet I am using 40 MB of
swap.

My emacs was restarted just yesterday, but there should already be
some significant compiler output collected in a shell buffer.  My RAM
is about 1/3 "used", 1/3 buffers, and just under 1/3 cache.  A tad is
free.  That looks OK to me.  If the kernel can find some unused stuff
to swap out to make room for more cache and buffering, that makes me
happy.  If I check again in a few days I won't be surprised if the
swap is pushing 100 MB--I might have a web browser running.

-kb