Hi,

I have been compiling driver modules for different RedHat versions on a
regular basis for years. I have always taken for granted that under RH
7.x, the "kgcc" (opr egcs 2.91) compiler should be used for that purpose
rather than the native 2.96 compiler. I never experienced any problems
with this setup so far.

Is this assumption still correct, also for 7.x errata kernels like
2.4.20-18.7?

I am asking because I am confronted with a case where the opposite
appears to to be true: A certain 3rd-party module leads to a kernel
panic when compiled with kgcc but runs fine when compiled with 2.96.

I might need to add that this is a "partial-source" module consisting of
an object file plus a "wrapper" C file.

I have compiled it with egcs for 2.4.18-3 and basically all errata
kernels that have appeared since that time, with no problems.

Martin

--
Martin Wilck                Phone: +49 5251 8 15113
Fujitsu Siemens Computers   Fax:   +49 5251 8 20409