Hi Toby...

I'm still being troubled by this and I've retreated
to samba-2.2.5.  I finally build 2.2.7 after triping
over all the tripwires, rpmbuild has changed, and
other numerous problems... but I finally got a clean
build of 2.2.7, installed it, did a smbpasswd -w "secret password"
and it keeps saying it can't get the secret password in
the samba log files when trying to logon to a system.

Now have done exactly the same with 2.2.5, and it works
fine... so I'm doing something consistently wrong with 2.2.7
but don't know what.  I would deeply appreciate your samba.spec
.. also noted that the dependency on perl(CGI) and perl(Net::LDAP)
is gone in 2.2.7, so maybe smbpasswd -w isn't the correct way
to store password anymore?  or any advice you have... thanks
very much for your help, I apprciate it.  btw did you have
trouble with rpmbuild and it's new behaviour where it fails
if files get built that aren't in the %files section?  I sure
stumped me for a while, I guess I just couldn't imagine that they
had made such a change in rpmbuild and I kept thinking something
was wrong with the source and I'm building on a slow machine,
so now, when you change the spec file and it creates new files,
you have to build once to find the new files, then include them
in the spec and build again, I know they say it's a god send, but
it didn't seem like that yesterday... anyway, thanks again for
your help, would appreciate the samba.spec and any other tips
you might have found.

Cheers
Bill