On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Luciano Rabelo wrote:

> I didn't know that (I think I don't have this option in Tru64 Unix).
>
> Thanks Jonathan, I will try it.
>
> Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> > Not if you use the --one-file-system switch.

if not, just replace your stock version of "tar" with GNU tar.
GNU tar is leaps and bounds ahead of traditional tar in several
respects, but is backward compatible.

if you don't want to go that route, use "find" to restrict
your search to a single filesystem, and consider using "cpio".
lots of possibilities, but i'd start with tar.

and if you want to do CD-based smaller backups, i've heard
good things about a utility called "cdbkup".

rday