On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 10:23:05PM -0500, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 10:35:50PM -0400, Kevin MacNeil wrote:
> >
> > But is it possible to boot off the Promise controller?
>
> You should be able to - I've booted older releases of Promise
> controllers.  The catch that I found was that I had to tell my BIOS to
> boot of a SCSI controller, even though the Promise is IDE.  To some
> BIOSes, SCSI simply means to go scan the PCI bus and look for more
> bootable controllers.

It worked!  I suddenly see the convenience of disk labels - all I had to
do was tell fstab that swap was on /dev/hde3 and not /dev/hda3.

I wasn't able to boot rh7.2 on my other ata100 drive when I hooked it up
to the promise controller, even though I had the most recent kernel
installed and dmesg showed that it saw the controller.  Not that it
matters, that drive is going into another computer.

Seems a little faster too (these are both 7200rpm ata100 drives):

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# hdparm -t /dev/hd{a,e}

/dev/hda:
Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.65 seconds = 24.15 MB/sec

/dev/hde:
Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.30 seconds = 49.23 MB/sec