Thank you for responding, but im not sure that solves my problem.

This is what I have:
On A SunOS machine
    A working SQL*Plus database
    working servlets that interact and query the database

On A RedHat 8.0 Linux box
   Apache
   Working Tomcat
   MySQL database thats standard with redhat 8.0
   nonfunctional exact copies of the servlets on the SunOS machine

This is what I need:
   To know what version of Oracle to download to allow the servlets to
        access the MySQL database (both the servlets and the mySQL are on
        the redhat box)
   Do I need any special addons?
   Can I use the standard MySQL database or do I need to install Oracles
         SQL database.

Basically all I'm trying to do is access the MySQL database with tomcat.
I've done it before on other machines, but the system was already set up
and everything was installed.  All I did was write the servlets.  I
installed redhat, apache, java SDK, MySQL, and tomcat.  Standard servlets
currently work on the redhat machine but I can't get the servlets to
access any of the databases.  I would like to use Oracle to access the
database (thats on the same machine as the servlets), but I have no idea
what version of Oracle I need.  There are literally hundreds of choices.

The following,
Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for Linux
which is on:
http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/oracle9i/content.html
does seem like my best bet, but will this gig and a half program allow me
to access the SQL database thats on the same machine?