* michael bartlett
>    i did a mv slocate.db.tmp slocate.db
>    and i could locate things perfectly.
>
>    so  it  appears  that the broken pipe occurs when slocate is trying to
>    move   slocate.db.tmp  ->  slocate.db.  and  this  even  happens  when
>    /var/lib/slocate.db doesn't exist.

Are you sure that the slocate.db.tmp is complete?  I.e. that it fails
before getting through all files?  One way that you might be able to
discover this is to manually count all files and compare:

  find / -print0 |  wc -l

and compare this to

  slocate -r . | wc -l

One suggestion to what fails is what happens with updatedb when you
have loops in your file system?  I would have thought that the locate
quys already have though of this though.

Another suggestion is that the process is aborted due to some time
limitation, but this also seems far fetched.

A third suggestion is there is an error in your slocate program.
Maybe you should try to download a new version?

--
 Jon Haugsand, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 http://www.norges-bank.no