Cameron Simpson wrote:

How sure are you? Rsync on its own doesn't do that - you need to have
a separate pass that makes a link tree and then rsync that. Is that
your setup?

Oh yeah, daily.01 gets linked to daily.02 by running a 'cp -al' on them. Then Rsync runs on daily.01.

A "df -k ." on your backup directory after each backup run will tell
you if you're copying everything fresh or making linked trees with
few differences.

Surely you meant du, not df. :) Hmm okay, maybe I'm not patient enough to sit and watch the very lengthy output of -k... I realize what I really wanted was 'du -k --max-depth=1 .' This will list all those daily's without their contents scrolling off my screen.

My suspiscion is that unless you've neglected to mention some part of
your backup arrangements you're getting complete copies, not "incremental"
trees.

I just did a dry run on one of the smaller backups and it appears to be doing what you said it should be. So I think all is well. I think I also found the problem that lead me to believe it wasn't doing what it should've been doing. The backup I was checking had a large (2.7 GB) file in it that was being backed up every single day because it's a log file. Consequently, the daily differences were rather small. Now that I've removed it, it appears to be working properly.

Thanks Cameron!

--
H| I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> . 303.442.6410 x130
IT Director / SysAdmin / WebSmith . 800.441.3873 x130
Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc. . 3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6
http://www.pcraft.com ..... . . . Boulder, CO 80303, U.S.A.