Hi,

I recently started having boot problems on one of my linux workstations.
It looks like a hardware problem. However I needed some advice before I
contact the customer service.

When I try to boot my machine it gets hanged at various levels of the boot
process, a different level during each boot. e.g: first it displayed there
was an error in some file, next time it hung up saying kernel panic, next time
it hung up immediately after the LILO prompt etc. Thinking it was a kernel
issue, I tried doing a fresh install and I got the following error
messages.

         incomplete literal tree
         invalid compressed format (err=1) Freeing initrd memory: 2648K
freed
EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
cramfs: wrong magic
FAT: unable to read boot sector
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=09:02, iso_blknum=16, block=32
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 09:02
spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7

Does this mean I have a hard disk problem or a motherboard problem ? Or
does it mean something entirely different ?

Thanks a bunch,
Rahul.