I have my new RH 8 box up and running, Gnome 2 as the
desktop and I hate the way the fonts look on my 17
inch LCD. All the fonts are too thick/heavy.

I am running xfs, I have tried turning off
anti-aliasing, fiddled with all the settings in the
font config tool under preferences in Gnome and still
can't make the fonts look thin.

I tried setting GDK_USE_XFT to 0 and that brought back
all the avail. fonts in font preferences tool, but I
noticed a big performance hit in font rendering.

There has got to be some way, some config in
fonts.config, to make the fonts look thinner, not so
heavy.

Any clues anyone ?

thanks