I use both Linux and Windows servers, based on application
and resource needs.  It sounds like you're using the box as
a web server, so should evaluate your web development and
publishing needs.  Do you want to use .NET and MSSQL or do
you want to go with Apache, PHP, and MySQL?  Actually, you
can run Apache, PHP, and MySQL on Windows... but it definitely
runs better on Linux, as it was developed primarily for that
platform.  I'd double check performance ratings, because maybe
they've improved the performance of those apps on Windows since
I last checked.

You're right about patches coming out more quickly on Linux.
The thing I find annoying is that vulnerabilities are so
widely disclosed and exploited.  In other words, people are
much quicker to take advantage of Linux exploits, from what
I've seen.  You have to keep up with a lot of changes on
the Linux platform as a result... and you have to stay right
on top of it all the time.

Again, if you stay up with updates, patches, configure things
properly, set up proper security measures, etc... It becomes
an issue of which apps you want to run.  And of course, which
apps you want to run becomes a factor of cost.  Linux is free.
That's why I use it in many cases.  The other big reason why
I use Linux is because I hate remotely logging into Windows
boxes via PC Anywhere and VNC.  They tend to be dog slow, when
a simple command prompt allows me to do things very quickly.

-Ed

DISCLAIMER:
This message is intended for the sole use of the individual to whom it is addressed,
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee you are hereby notified
that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute to anyone the message or any
information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete this message.