Linda Hanigan wrote,

> I have been accessing my linux files from windows for
> along time and even have my linux computer setup to
> print on my windowns machine computers and vice versa,
> however now I need to search a windows computer at work
> for a file and I am at home. I have searched through my
> books and the web but all I am coming up with are instructions
> for mounting windows files on a dual boot machine are accessing
> shares on the linux computer. Could someone help me out and
> tell me how to access shared folders on a windows computer
> from linux?

Dear Linda,

Normally, smbmount or smbclient would be the way to go.  In this case, you
will have to start by making sure you have access to the Windows network
from home, through some sort of VPN or Telnet tool.  Once that has been
set up, probably by your sysadmin, then, assuming you can reach your
desktop on the Windows network, you should have no problem using smbclient
or smbmount to access the drive.  Do man smbclient to find out more
information, or see the Samba website at http://www.samba.org.

Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford

http://www.mossroot.com
AIM: Buffalo2K ICQ: 11646404 Y!: rscrawford
MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

invisible to the eye." --Antoine de Saint Exupéry