On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:38:28 -0400 (EDT), Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >   reading an online brief tutorial on RPM, and i was surprised to
> > see an explanation of an interesting variation of "rpm" i'd never
> > seen before -- the fact that you upgrade "groups" of related packages
> > by just the package name, like
> >
> >   # rpm -Uvh samba
> >
> > which allegedly will upgrade, in this case, the core package and
> > any client and serer packages as well.  i'd always used -U strictly
> > in the context of the fill package file name, never saw this
> > variation before.
> >
> >   how long has this been around?  and where are these package
> > groupings defined?  comps.xml?
> >
> >   has this always been there and i've just missed it all this
> > time?  dang.
>
> Hmmm, does it work for you actually?
>
> # rpm -Uvh samba
> error: open of samba failed: No such file or directory

  ok, i didn't actually try it as i didn't have my RPM CDs handy.
i'm reading out of an IBM developerworks tutorial called
"Tuning Red Hat for maximum performance" (for which you have
to register, as you do for all developerworks tutorials,
www-106.ibm.com/developerworks).

https://www6.software.ibm.com/developerworks/education/l-redhat/l-redhat-3-6.html

if anyone wants to take a look.  at this point, i'm wondering if
that whole page is just bogus.

rday

--

Robert P. J. Day