Luciano Rabelo,

On Tuesday July 01, 2003 10:19, Luciano Rabelo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create a stand-alone boot floppy with mkbootdisk.
> Can any one help me?
>
> # mkbootdisk -v --device /tmp/mkbootdisk/test 2.4.18-14smp
> Formatting /tmp/mkbootdisk/test... done.
> Copying /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14smp... done.
> Creating initrd image...
> gzip: stdout: No space left on device
> done.
> Configuring bootloader... cat: write error: No space left on device
> done.
> #

The SMP kernel (as shipped w/RH) will not fit on a standard floppy. The error
is coming from the implied (by lack of specifying) "--size 1440". So the
image is always running out of room. The kernels are getting bigger, and
floppies are more and more obsolete.

So here are your options...

1. Use a CD - Specify the --iso option to mkbootdisk and use that to burn a
bootable CD.

2. Use an alternate floppy image size. Most drives support a variety of image
sizes. Here's how...

A. Determine what your floppy drive can handle.

# floppy --createrc > /etc/floppy
# floppy -c /dev/fd0

B. Create a boot disk with a larger but supported size...
Note : The sizes will be shown in the above commands by something like
"/dev/fd0u1840". Use the number after the "u" there.

# mkbootdisk --size 1840 --verbose --device /dev/fd0 `uname -r`

HTH.

--
Brian Ashe                                                     CTO
Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]