Haley Crowe wrote:

Hello.  I'm looking at upgrading to one of the newer versions of Redhat
from 7.x.  Can anyone tell me how much binary-compatibility there is
from 7.x to 8 or 9?

In the old days Red Hat maintained binary compatiblity between version that shared a major number. Now they seem to be okay with breaking compatibility every release. You still may be able to install older binaries if you install the compat- rpms. For RH9 be sure to read the release notes about NPTL.

--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)