Hi,

I'm having a fairly wierd problem and would appreciate
any help.

I'm building a diskless linux machine that will boot
RH 9.0 over pxe/dhcp/tftp and use a ramdisk as both
its initrd and final filesystem. The kernel itself is
a stock RH9 kernel that I copied over from a
Pentium-III desktop. The diskless box has the same
hardware config as the desktop minus any disks or
video.

The kernel booting process works as easily as one
would expect. However, a couple of problems keep this
from being usable -
1. the syslog daemon fails to start because it claims
that getservbyname failed. The ramdisk has a fully
populated /etc/services. Other network services seem
to be fine.
2. login on the console fails with a pam_unix error
message "check pass; user unknown. Authentication
failure". Using a pam-free login does not help either.
The etc directory on the ramdisk is a smaller replica
of my desktop.

A similar setup works fine with RH 7.2.

Any suggestions??

John