Steven W. Orr wrote:

On Tuesday, Jul 8th 2003 at 09:52 -0700, quoth Greg Bell:

=>
=>Hi List Folks,
=>
=>First, let me point out that I am fairly seasoned at kernel recompiling...
=>I have done dozens successfully, so please don't let the naive question
=>below cause you to send me to the Howto :)
=>
=>With my new RH9 install, I figured it'd be best to recreate the stock
=>kernel, as a starting point. I thought I should be able to:
=>
=>1) cp /boot/config-2.4.20-8 .config
=>2) make dep && etc etc
=>
=>However, this results in a gcc error and an aborted compile. Shouldn't I
=>be able to use that config?
=>
=>Second, if I run make xconfig, and don't do anything but "save and exit",
=>it drastically changes the .config I copied from /boot. Not just the
=>order... new options there, etc.
=>
=>What critical piece of RedHat knowledge am I missing?
=>
=>Thanks,
I went through the whole thing myself and noone was really helpful. So I shall look down you mere mortals and give you the answer ;-)

There are a number of 'config' targets: config, menuconfig, xconfig and oldconfig. If you want to use an old config file with no changes, you should run oldconfig to make sure that all the stuff that's in there is good and that all the stuff that isn't gets added. But the point is that all of the config targets do more than just set up the .config file. There are other mysterious things that happen as well. The real proper way to do it is to unpack your src (whatever feels best) and then run make mrproper. (BTW, mrproper is apparently from the German version of Mr. Clean in this country.) Then you must run *one* of the config targets to end up with the proper pre-build setup. Note that if you have a good .config and you run mrproper, it *will* delete your .config file.

Zat help?

No and I know what you are talking about;-) The short answer. You need to run "make oldconfig", make menuconfig, make xconfig to setup a number of things up.

The following should nearly always compile a kernel:

0)Edit EXTRAVERSION value in Makefile so you don't call this kernel the same name as one of your other kernels.
1)Backup .config if you still want it
2)make mrproper (clean everything up)
3)copy a config file to .config
4)make oldconfig (Asks you any new questions if your config is out of date. Handy if you are using a config from older kernel, and want to know whats new. Don't do this you only if you didn't copy a config in step 1.)
5)make menuconfig Note- make xconfig should work, but kernel hackers rarely test that xconfig works. Linus is known to release kernels with only make oldconfig working;-)
6)make dep
7)make bzImage
8)make modules
9)make modules_install
10)make install (This may break if you have misconfigured lilo/grub, or modules.conf, but in will install your kernel, and System map in /boot.)

In theroy only steps 2, one of either 4 or 5, 6, and 10 are required. Thus a more typical install would be:

0)Edit EXTRAVERSION value in Makefile.
1)Backup .config if you still want it
2)make mrproper (clean everything up)
3)copy a config file to .config
4)make oldconfig/menuconfig/xconfig
5)make menuconfig 6)make dep install

-- Once you have their hardware. Never give it back. (The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition) Sam Flory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>