Gerry Doris wrote:
I believe that pop3s is the regular pop3 daemon with TLS support. However, if a client doesn't meet the TLS requirements will the pop3s
default back to regular usage or will mail just not work?

In other words, if I want to support TLS for only some users do I have to
run both a pop3 and a pop3s daemon or will the pop3s do the complete job. I'm assuming that imaps works the same as pop3s.

Both of those services run on alternate ports, providing SSL.

I believe that "imap" supports STARTTLS, but I'm not sure if "pop3" supports STLS. You can telnet to port 110 and try the command to find out.

In other words, pop3s and imaps will not work for clients that don't do SSL, but imap (and maybe pop3) will work for all clients, including those that want SSL (as long as they can do STARTTLS, which isn't always the case).