Alex Sharaz wrote:
> I've got a rh 6.1 system here and the owners have lost the root
> password for it.
> quick pointers as to how to log onto the box?
>
> bot off a cdrom and then edit the /etc/passwd / shadow files?

An easier way is to boot into single user mode.  When you get the LILO
prompt type "linux single" (without quotes).  This will put you directly
into a shell as root without having to go through the logon process.  Once
there, you can issue the passwd command to change root's password.  Once you
are done changing the password, exit and the system will boot as normal.

No need to manually edit any files.

Brad Sites
Systems Administrator
Missouri Employers Mutual Insurance