Hi All,

Well, when printing works, its easy.  When it doesn't.......

I'm running a Redhat 7.3 system and got a new HP LaserJet 1300.  I tried
setting it up with cups, but in order to get the newest drivers to work,
I'd have to upgrade so much that I would have to upgrade to RH 8 or
9--something I'm not willing to do at this time--so I tried setting the
printer up with LPRng.

I chose the laserjet 1200 (closest printer?) and the postscript driver.
The ascii test page prints properly, but the postscript test page does not
print at all.  If I

$cat ascii_file | lpr

it prints properly.

If I try to print a web page from Mozilla, the light on the printer
flashes and flashes, but doesn't print.  The same thing happens when I
try to print the postscript test page.  I have VMWARE 3.2.0 installed and
updated.  I have win98 running as a virtual machine and have installed the
"laserjet III+ poscript" driver.  Things print almost perfectly from the
virtual machine.  (I use the vm for quicken.  I can print 2 full pages of
checks, but I seem to find a random character error here and there and
when it gets to the third page, I get a postscript error printed.

I have also tried the generic postscript driver and the raw device driver
to no avail.  Can anyone PLEASE tell me how to get the printer working
properly in linux?

Thanks,

Mark