On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 09:33, Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS)
wrote:
> IPTABLES ..see iptables-howto

I had success with Shorewall (http://www.shorewall.net/) when running
Debian.  Although I'm much happier now that I have an inexpensive
hardware firewall (Netgear).  You get greater security having the
firewall external to your working computer.  You don't need to keep the
machine on.  It's easier to set up and maintain through a web
interface.  You won't lose your internet connection to all machines if
you have problems with a software upgrade.  You don't have to understand
arcane networking concepts.

I bought the hardware when an upgrade temporarily crippled my internet
access.  I resolved the Shorewall configuration issue, but decided I
didn't need the headache.  Netgear has a router/firewall/print server
(FR114P ?) for less than $100.  I think it goes as low as $60 or so.
YMMV.

Cheers,
Steve
--