George...

I didn't get a choice of kernels on the

    kernel /

prompt.  Instead I was prompted with
partition/directory names such as usr tmp var boot
etc.

Therefore I thought I'd take a chance on a vmlinuz
file in boot.

Regarding the ext2fs error, on first googling it
appears to point to booting from the wrong partition
or a hardware problem... I unsure of what my next step
should be - concentrating on trying to salvage data
(if possible) or trying to rollback to the system
config before I ran up2date.

Once again, any other suggestions from the list are
much appreciated.

/j-p.