> On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 20:01, Peter Kiem wrote:
> > > I'm no expert but I suspect that the best solution is a router
that is
> > > DynDNS compat - many are. If you don't have one, it's really a
good
> > > small investment anyway.
> >
> > I don't understand how does a router help here?  The server needs to
> > record it's host name and IP address in the target DNS.
>
> The router is configured to link to and send the changed IP to the
> DynDNS server instead of running software. There is ample information
> available at Netgear, Linksys and others about this process.

I think that there's probably been a mis-communication here.  If I
understand the original poster correctly, he's not actually trying to do
dydns.  What he is probably doing is WINS over TCPIP, which typically
uses a local dns server on the Windows server to serve up the computer
names.  Windows clients that are set for dhcp automatically update the
WINS database, which can then be set up to update the local dns server.

I don't have an answer for you, but I hope that the problem is now more
clear.

Ben