On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:39:40 -0400 (EDT), Mark Neidorff wrote:
>
> > I don't know what I changed...it must have been something that affected
> > mail delivery within my local domain.  I run a mail server on my linux box
> > and using procmail, it successfully receives and sends mail across the
> > Internet for me and my family (on 192.168.1.x).
> >
> > But when I try to send mail to other computers on my local network, the
> > mail does not get delivered.  What happenes is that the mail "sits" in
> > /var/spool/mqueue along with a ".lock" file.  I can force the mail to get
> > delivered by rm'ing the .lock file repeatedly and checking for delivery
> > with mailq.  When the mail is finally delivered, I must manually "killall
> > procmail" and then rm all of the files in the /var/spool/mqueue directory.
> > Once I do that, mail delivery resumes as normal.
> >
> > My analysis of the procmail.log file is that at some point in the delivery
> > chain the ".lock" file isn't being removed and things stop there.  There
> > doesn't seem to be anything wrong in /var/log/messages or
> > /var/log/maillog.
> >
> > Is there anything else thatCan anyone see how I can fix the problem?
> >
> > Here is a "small" excerpt from my procmail.log file that shows the
> > problem when I (mark) send an e-mail to another user on my local network
> > (merri).  Thanks for any help,
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > procmail: No match on
> > "(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-Envelope|Apparently(-Resent)?)-To):(.*[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])?).redhat"
> > procmail: Match on
> > "(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-Envelope|Apparently(-Resent)?)-To):(.*[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])?).merri"
> > procmail: Couldn't determine implicit lockfile from "/usr/sbin/sendmail"
> > procmail: Locking ".lock"
> > procmail: Executing "/usr/sbin/sendmail,-oi,merri"
> > procmail: [945] Fri Jul 18 13:13:08 2003
> > procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi merri"
> > procmail: Unlocking ".lock"
> > procmail: Notified comsat: "merri@:/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi merri"
> > >From mark  Fri Jul 18 13:13:07 2003
> >  Subject: testing 1 2 3
> >   Folder: /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi merri                                         3579
>
> Strange folder name. What does your ~/.procmailrc look like?
> It looks much as if you inserted a bad recipe.

I agree that that folder is "strange." (Never noticed it, but it is in the
log file.)  I also don't know how it got there.
I should have specified that the above came from the system
/etc/procmailrc output.  All recipes seem to work OK.  Here is the
/etc/procmailrc file:

SHELL=/usr/bin/sh
LOGFILE=/tmp/procmail.log
VERBOSE=yes
LOGABSTRACT=all

:0:
* ^TO_.chemteach
!chemteach

# Mark's stuff
:0:
* ^TO_.mark
!mark

:0:
* ^TO_.redhat
!mark

#Merri's stuff
:0:
* ^TO_.merri
!merri

:0:
* ^TO_.SHAKSPER
!merri

:0:
* ^TO_.laughingcat
!laughingcat

:0:
* ^From:.WriteByMyself
!laughingcat

:0:
* ^From:.whitemoon
!laughingcat

:0:
* ^TO_.flying_angel_now
!flying_angel_now

:0:
* ^TO_.troop184
!troop184news

#send root's mail to root
:0:
* ^TO_.root
!root

:0:
* ^TO_.dan
!dan

# anything else just gets dumped to mark for now.
:0:
* ^Subject:.*
!mark