To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: Root is GONE

IF you have been hacked, you should just backup your data and reinstall.

Are you sure theres no other way you could have lost your /etc/passwd
file?  That's basically the problem - /etc/passwd is either missing or
corrupted - and thus it can't find the root user.  I don't think shadow
has much to do with it.

If you can copy /etc/passwd from a good RH machine of the same version,
and then run the passwd command from single-user mode, you should be at
least in a little better shape.

Jon