On 20 Jul 2003 09:49:02 +1000
Stephen Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 05:25, SAQIB wrote:
> > http://www.linuxandmain.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=364
> >

> > Saqib Ali
> > ---------
>
> So in essence, does this mean that I'll no longer be able to go to the
> newsagents and purchase a RedHat distro? I'm on 56k - I'm not
> downloading ISO's and it's rather arrogant for anyone to think that ISO
> distribution caters completely to the public.

No, they're not being arrogant; they're trying to stay in business, provide a good
product line & services, and cut losses.  This has been discussed elsewhere, and the
bottom line is that a very high percentage of people running RH Linux releases buy
_NOTHING_ from RH.  They just download.  Development, testing, and packaging of boxed
sets costs money, and doesn't usually even pay for itself at this point.  So what can
they do?

People who can't/don't want to download the ISO's and spin their own CD's will have to
work through cheapbytes or one of the other groups that provide a cd set for about
$5.00.  They currently have to relabel RH to another name, but that's the only change
made.  In the future they may not even have to do the renaming; they may just have to
pay a small fee to provide the ISO's without name changing.  This would be a good
thing.  RHN is also supposed to continue, so you'll be able to get about the same
level of support for your free/cheap installation.

best
     rickf