I was able to fix my own problem from the overflowing
amount of information on the web. I was trying to go
this route before, but I found a bit of info on a
message board that solved my problem. I moved the
located on the htpasswd file, and modified my
httpd.conf and htaccess files accordingly. They are
now:

# htaccess file
# Location /etc/httpd/phpmyadmin/htaccess
AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/conf/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Access"