On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 10:20, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
>  I am sorry nobody else jumps in. Problem with waiting such a long time
> with your replies is it makes that I already forgot what the precise
> problem was, what you have already tried to solve it, and what I did
> recommend you to try.

I understand the problem there.  Since this server is not technically
work-related, it usually gets put on the far-back burner, for various
periods of time.  :(

> > BTW:  I've tried the following:
> >
> > # mkinitrd --preload raid1 --with=raid1 raid1-initrd.img 2.4.20-18.7
> >
> > ... and no luck.  It booted just fine, just no difference and no RAID.
>
>  I think we already concluded before that the ramdisk probably is not
> the problem.

The last recommendation I noticed was to try and create a custom ramdisk
to force it to load the raid1 module.

>  Since you are using root raid and can't access the machine physically
> I think you have a serious problem. Instead of debugging the situation
> you could try recreating the array (you should test if this works
> without losing your data on another machine first, and to make sure you
> know the procedure), but the fact that your root fs is on raid makes
> this very difficult if you are unable to handle the machine. You could
> try to setup a rescue system on a spare partition, reboot to that (use
> the -f flag for shutdown to make sure you do not end up in a filesystem
> check), boot to this rescue partition, fix things from there and boot
> back to your original system. This is possible but very tricky if you
> can't handle the machine.

*chuckle*  Difficult is an understatement.  ;)  Makes me really wish I
could host it from home...  ;)

I'm probably still looking at this the wrong way, but previous kernel
upgrade(s) work just fine.  For example, the software needed 2.4.9
initially, but RH7.2 came with 2.4.7.  I upgraded the kernel rpms the
same way I've tried now, and it worked.  What could have changed between
2.4.9 and 2.4.20 in this respect?  :|

I've recreated the situation on a VMware virtual machine I set up.  The
only difference is that I have no control over the type of hard-drives
are "emulated", per se, as it only allows SCSI.  The real machine has
IDE drives.  Same problem.  Upgrade from 2.4.7 -> 2.4.9, just fine.
Upgrade to 2.4.9 -> 2.4.20, no RAID.

Argh.  :\  I really wish I had hardware RAID support...  bleh.

--
Ricky Boone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Planetfurry.com