On Thursday 24 July 2003 14:34, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have 2 departmental email servers in different cities (Amarillo and
> Dallas). Each has its own public IP address, domain name, and MX
> record.  I want the email destined for the Dallas server to first
> come to Amarillo, then have the Amarillo firewall forward the Dallas
> traffic to the Dallas email server.  Our goal is to run the Dallas
> email thru our rather expensive email scrubber, with no changes to
> our IP addresses or domain names.
>
> I think that I would need to:
> -- change the MX record for the Dallas email to point to Amarillo;
> -- set up IP forwarding rules on the Amarillo firewall to send the
> Dallas traffic to the Dallas IP address
>
> My question is: since I would change the Dallas MX record to point to
> Amarillo, would the Dallas email be stuck in some sort of loop?
>
> Tom Hightower
> Solutions, Inc
> http://www.simas.com

You didn't indicate which program you're using so .... assuming you're
using sendmail, from the /usr/share/sendmail.cf/README file in the
section discussing the /etc/mail/mailertable:

In some cases you may want to temporarily turn off MX records,
particularly on gateways.  For example, you may want to MX
everything in a domain to one machine that then forwards it
directly.  To do this, you might use the DNS configuration:

        *.domain.       IN      MX      0       relay.machine

and on relay.machine use the mailertable:

        .domain         smtp:[gateway.domain]

The [square brackets] turn off MX records for this host only.
If you didn't do this, the mailertable would use the MX record
again, which would give you an MX loop.

I think this is what you're looking for....

Regards,  Mike Klinke