** Reply to message from Logan Linux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:46:13
+1000

> Hi all,
>
> Being a noob most of my time is taken up "hacking" commands that Ive pieced
> together from what Ive been gathering from the usual sources.
>
> Something I dont understand (forgive me) is the locate and find commands.
>
> Basically I want to
> dir nessus* /s
> ie. find all files and folders containing nessus and searching in all sub
> directories.
>
> I thought locate was doing that by default but I jynxed it today.
> Please help!

Locate will only find a file if three things have occurred:

1) The package was installed on your system.
2) The package was installed via rpm.
2) The updatedb process has run before you did the locate command.

So you can check if it is there by doing "rpm -qa | grep nessus" and if you get some
hits, then try "locate nessus" again.  If you don't get any hits, double check that
you have an updated package database by running "locate -u" then try it again. If you
know that nessus has been installed and the previous does not work, then it was likely
installed via a tarball rather than an rpm.

Note that nessus is no longer installed by default by RH. I do not have it on my RH8
nor my RH9 box.

jb

--
Jack Bowling Prince George, BC mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]