> The Novell equivalent for IP is IPX. NetWare is more like Unix+NFS. This is
> as you think....
>
> Usually, NetWare workstations use the IPX protocol to talk to NetWare
> servers. In your case though, you say that you've only got IP loaded on the
> workstations. This means you are running netWare over IP, not IPX. The very
> latest ncpfs tools claim to support mounting NetWare volumes over IP not IPX
> (ver 2.0.12.6 and up), but I haven't tried it.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.  I got mail from another gentleman who
said basically the same thing, that Netware can run over either IPX or IP.

> I suggest you look into loading IPX on the Novell servers (if it isn't
> already present) and connect using IPX. This will happily coexist with IP
> traffic on the same network as it does at our offices here.

My goal is to eventually get them converted over to mosly Linux systems.  Even
if I can't get that, I'd like to replace their NetWare servers with Linux
servers.  If that's the case, I'd think that leaving TCP/IP in place and let
Linux run ncpfs would leave a better segway into a full Linux network.

> Please feel free to contact me if you need any other assistance.

Thank you very much for your help!  If you could give me your opinion on that
last paragraph above, I'd appreciate your input.

-Michael

                -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759