On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Jeremy Domingue wrote:

> I was wondering if there is some way that you can configure linux as to
> prevent UDP floods from originating locally? Could UDP be filtered out
> completely w/o damaging other services or..... ?

First step is to rig your router to block spoofed packets.  That will stop
most UDP floods. :)

Your other option is to use the traffic shaper in 2.1 to prevent any given
host from sending too much traffic.

You can't just get rid of UDP altogether because important things like DNS
work through it.  Other than DNS though, I can't think of anything
important that needs to go through the firewall to the outside world.
(You'll need UDP internally for things like syslog, NFS, and so on, but
this doesn't need to go to the outside world anyway.)  SO maybe you could
use a deny policy to block UDP and just allow the things you need.