I have 8 production machines on 9 and 7.3 and always visit the RedHat
network website to do my updates manually.

I've update kernels through this method many times and had no problems.

I've only had one problem, it stopped xinetd on one 7.3 box a few times.
I spoke to a RedHat Chief Instructor about this last week and he thinks
it was something else not related to rhnsd.

I also know that RedHat will setup a local server solution if you have a
lot of machines and don't like the huge bandwidth hit when updates are
downloaded automatically.

Regards

Stuart Clark