I have a 1u server - the description is listed below.

http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/SUPERServer/SuperServer5013C-T.htm

I've loaded up RH9 with raid1 setup and I've updated the OS with all
the latest rpms(kernel included) and such.

The drives for the raid setup are Western Digital hot-swappable Serial
ATA drives.  So I figured with hot swappable drives running raid1 I'd
be able to yank a drive up and still have things running.  Then looking at
/proc/mdstat I'd see 1 drive down - but the
system *should* keep running.

Anyhow I pulled a drive, typed few basic commands - got some junk that
rolled across console - then the system froze. People could no longer
ping the machine, console was unresponsive, ctl-alt-del didn't work. I had to power cycle the machine.

Basically I'm asking why I'm seeing this behavior - w/ a system
running raid1 with and hotswapable?  Is there anything I can do as far as hard/software
setup to make sure linux keeps running.  In theory one drive can fair the the other
should still work.

--
Rock River Internet                          Roger Grunkemeyer
202 W. State St, 8th Floor                [EMAIL PROTECTED]