On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 16:00, Ben Hall wrote:
> Yup, D-Link 650 (NOT THE 650+!!!)
>
> The 650 is an Orinico card, I got it for $30USD on E-Bay, plugged it in
> and worked.  I've since used RH's excellent config tool to set it up
> with WEP on several different wireless LANs.

I'm not sure what you mean by the DWL-650 being an Orinco card.  The
DWL-650 is a D-Link product built upon the Intersil Prism-2.5 chipset.
Why do you think is Orinco?

> FWIW, watch out for the The 650+.  It is a totally different card with a
> completely different chipset.  There were binary-only drivers floating
> on the net, but after doing a similar battle with a crappy SMC wireless
> USB adapter, I had no intentions of repeating the experience...

Unfortunately, most of the newer cards you're going to pick up at a
BestBuy/CompUSA/Staples/etc are useless for Open Source users.  Neither
TI nor the other closed-source chip vendors are releasing specs or docs,
last I heard.  This is why I stocked up on DWL-650's a while back.  Ebay
is your friend.  :)

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting