Recently I had to remove /dev/hdb from a server to get it replaced. The OS is installed entirely on /dev/hda (including swap), and hdb was a mere backup drive (it was actually added AFTER the server was initially installed, up and running.) Nothing on the OS depended on this drive being there, or being accessible. However, to my surprise, after removing the drive and attempting to start the server back up, I was presented with a black screen with the word GRUB in the upper left hand corner. Nothing else, it wouldn't boot, it just sat there. The only way I was able to get the server running again was to either put hdb back into the system, or boot off of the boot floppy I always keep around. That boots the system up and runs just fine, but it won't boot any other way.

So, why is that? Why is Grub refusing to boot after I removed that drive?

--
H| I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> . 303.442.6410 x130
IT Director / SysAdmin / WebSmith . 800.441.3873 x130
Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc. . 3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6
http://www.pcraft.com ..... . . . Boulder, CO 80303, U.S.A.