>  >Did ya change the master/slave jumper on the HDa drive
>  >single drive when you removed
>  >the hdb drive by any chance? Is this a compaq by any
chance
>  >that would now prefer you switched to cable select? Does
the
>  >drive show up in the bios?
>  >
>  >does it actually try to boot?
>  >
>  >

>      Hardware wise, everything checks out.  Without the
>  second drive, hda
>  gets set to master (jumper gets removed), and with it
gets
>  set to master
>  with slave, and hdb set as slave.  (I don't believe in
cable select
>  because it caused me more problems that it's worth.)  And
>  no, it's not
>  an inferior Compaq.  BIOS wise, everything checks out
again.
>   It sees
>  what it has and moves on.  And yes, it does try to boot
up
>  which is how
>  I get the GRUB line on the screen, but nothing else.
>
>      Dropping the boot floppy in the system, it boots
fine.
>  And now that
>  I've reinstalled hdb, it all works again, however as soon
as I
>  disconnect it (and revert all jumper and bios settings
back
>  to single
>  drive), grub fails.
>
>      [ answering your second message here as well ]
>
>  >Maybe grub knows about the second drive through Kudzu
>  >finding it or something,
>  >
>      Kudzu's not installed on the machine.

substitute anaconda for kudzu...

>  >it is listed in grubs config file and grubs barfs when
it
>  >cant find it
>  >
>      Do you see it listed in grubs config (which I posted
>  earlier)?  I
>  certainly don't.

unfortuantely I did not see that earlier posting like i said
in my first posting
so no I did not.

In any case, perhaps grub utilizes another file that
has the hardware configuration defined in it and
hangs when it detects a disk drive change due to confusion..
I suggest your answer lies with the people that wrote grub
unless you care to read the source yourself.

>  --
>  W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape
somewhere.

---------