Michael Hamam wrote:
Hello all,

I configured OpenLdap, but when I rebooted the server I could not login
even as root. The error is "Authentication Failed".

What seems to be the problem.

You've probably got the LDAP server's hostname wrong, or some similar misconfiguration.

First, you're going to need to boot to single user mode, and use "authconfig" to fix your authentication settings. After you've made your changes, start your network "service network start". With the network up, test your changes using the getent tool, like
"getent passwd ldapuser".

When getent returns data that looks correct, you can then fix /etc/pam.d/system-auth. Change the line:

account required /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so

to:

account sufficient /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so

This fix will allow you to log in as root when the LDAP server is down or settings are wrong. The current settings are hosed such that if you misconfigure your system, or the LDAP server is down, you cannot log in as any user.