On 04 Aug 2003 16:44:30 +0100, Nick Lindsell wrote

> > Dumb question time. If I tell the router to send log information to the Linux
> > server, how do I tell the Linux server to accept and log them? I assume the
> > Linksys router will send packets to the Linux server with log information. How
> > do those get processed by the Linux system?
>
> Add a "-r" flag to SYSLOG_OPTIONS in /etc/sysconfig/syslog:-
>
> SYSLOGD_OPTIONS="-m 0 -r"
>
> Your linux syslog will now log from other machines.

But won't this set up syslog to listen to packets on the syslog port (514)?
The router is sending packets to port 162 (per my logs). All I really want is
a daemon to listen to port 162, get the packets, format them, and put them in
a file (say /var/log/router).

I am not clear on how the -r option will accomplish that?