On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 06:43, Mike Vanecek wrote:
> Why is xinetd listening on udp port 624?
>
> udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:624             0.0.0.0:*
>   2144/xinetd
>
> I have looked at grep 624  /etc/xinetd.d and found nothing. Where else should
> I look?

OK, rather than answer the question I believe it is better to tell you
how to find the information yourself.

The tactic you used is not good in that the /etc/xinetd.d/* rarely list
the port number, they list the service name in most instances.  Better
to:

    grep 624 /etc/services

to find the service name, then

    grep <service-name> /etc/xinetd.d/*

Another way is to use lsof

   lsof -i UDP:624

This will tell you that xinetd is using that port, but it will also list
what else is involved.

- rick