On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Nick Wilson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade glib on RH9. I run ./configure make make install
> and then when I try to configure pango, it tells me it needs glib 2.1.3
> or better.
>
> I noticed that glib was installed in /usr/local/lib/glig not
> /usr/lib/glib - Clearly I am missing somthing vital here. Could somebody
> please point me in the right direction?

When you install packages by hand, RPM can't know that they are there to
satisfy the dependencies.  In general, you need to either (1) find an RPM
for the dependency, (2) install the dependency using checkinstall, or (3)
install the dependent package with --nodeps (listed in order of
dramatically decreasing desirability).

In this case:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mjs]$ whichcd glib
You appear to be running Red Hat Linux 9.
I'll search for rpms for that version.

Searching for glib...
CD-1:glib-1.2.10-10.i386.rpm
CD-1:glib2-2.2.1-1.i386.rpm
CD-2:glib-devel-1.2.10-10.i386.rpm
CD-2:glib2-devel-2.2.1-1.i386.rpm
SOURCE-CD-1:glib-1.2.10-10.src.rpm
SOURCE-CD-1:glib2-2.2.1-1.src.rpm

Uninstall the glib you installed by hand and install the glib2 RPM from
the CD.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences