Thanks for the replies.

I made a folder called /initrd and the thing booted past that.
I upgraded the kernel to the .smp version and reinstalled xfs again and grub

But it still hangs on the starting xfs

here are the ouputs you asked for, Micheal

->copy of grub.conf (before I have upgraded to kernel.smp)

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,5)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda8
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,5)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-3)
        root (hd0,5)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/hda8 hdd=ide-scsi idebus=66 ide0ata=66
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-3.img
title Windows
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

-->output from parted /dev/hda

GNU Parted 1.4.24
Copyright (C) 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY
WARRANTY; without
even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See
the GNU
General Public License for more details.

Using /dev/hda
Warning: The operating system thinks the geometry on /dev/hda is 5169/240/63.
Therefore, cylinder
1024 ends at 7559.999M.  You have Windows FAT partition(s) that are not using LBA.  If
your BIOS
supports LBA, then you should switch to LBA by setting the LBA flag on all FAT
partitions.
Otherwise, make sure the operating system and the BIOS have the same geometry before
resizing any
FAT partitions.
(parted)
  check MINOR                   do a simple check on the filesystem
  cp [FROM-DEVICE] FROM-MINOR TO-MINOR      copy filesystem to another partition
  help [COMMAND]                prints general help, or help on COMMAND
  mklabel LABEL-TYPE            create a new disklabel (partition table)
  mkfs MINOR FS-TYPE            make a filesystem FS-TYPE on partititon MINOR
  mkpart PART-TYPE [FS-TYPE] START END      make a partition
  mkpartfs PART-TYPE FS-TYPE START END      make a partition with a filesystem
  move MINOR START [END]          move partition MINOR
  name MINOR NAME               name partition MINOR NAME
  print                         display the partition table
  quit                          exit program
  resize MINOR START END        resize filesystem on partition MINOR
  rm MINOR                      delete partition MINOR
  select DEVICE                 choose the device to edit
  set MINOR FLAG STATE          change a flag on partition MINOR
(parted) q

-->output from RPM -V kernel

S.5....T   /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o
S.5....T   /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i830.o

xfs starts OK from /etc/rc0.d/K10xfs restart
I tried moving xfs out of xinit.d then I thought I could start it later, but then the
file xfs didnt exist

Thanks for your help

Pete