I have sudo installed and set up my syslog.conf with the following line:
local2.debug                          /var/log/sudo
separated by tabs of course.  I kill -HUP'd the pid (also tried restarting to be sure)
then failed a sudo command.  Nothing gets written.  I added another line:
*.debug                               /var/log/whatsgoingon
which logs all the failed attempts.  I tried starting syslogd with -d but it told me
Debugging disabled, SIGUSR1 to turn on debugging.  I'm not sure how to use SIGUSR1.  I
didn't install sudo from source so the default should be local2.  Also tried this:
local2.*                      /var/log/sudo
and got nothing.  I am out of ideas.