> noauth
> netmask 255.0.0.0
> asyncmap 0
> passive
> debug
> modem
> proxyarp
> lock

Although it appears to not be causing you any problems the local
and modem options are mutually exclusive.   Removing the modem
option is probably what you need.  Everything else looks fine but
it would be handy to see the options on the client machine too.

> cat     /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0
>
> 10.0.0.1:10.0.0.2

Ok, so the client machine successfully gets the 10.0.0.2 ip address?

What is your ethernet card IP address and netmask on the server?
10.0.0.2 will have to be a valid address on the subnet configured
on your ethernet card.

> ktune? missed that in the man pages. I've added it now but still no route
> out. Still no gateway and netmask showing on the connecting laptop. :(

Perhaps you need to upgrade to newer ppp and/or man-pages ??

Regards,
Sean