Ed Wilts wrote:
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 11:41:15AM -0400, Gordon wrote:

I've noticed that in most of the spam that makes it through the sender uses a from address of something legitimate like aol.com or msn.com or whatever. I already block email if the domain doesn't exist at all. Can anyone tell me if it's possible (any prefereably how) to have sendmail reject the connection if the from address is aol.com but the mail server isn't aol.com (likewise for msn, yahoo, etc.).

Please note that if you implement this, you have the potential to block a *lot* of legitimate e-mail. For example, this e-mail is coming to you from the redhat.com domain, yet it's got my From: address on it. It's quite possible for a legitimate user to send e-mail from a different domain. Even if I sent e-mail directly to you, I've got a SMART_HOST defined that will send it to you via my ISP, yet keep my ewilts.org From: address (and I host multiple domains on my home server).

This is for my home mail server so me and my housemate are the only ones who could get lost mail. I've been keeping track of the spam that I do get and only planned to check for the 3 or 4 domains that are most prevalent in the from address, not a general rule for all domains.