On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 05:12, JImmy NGu wrote:
> I've tried to backup the database in a postgresql server by copying
> the folder /var/lib/pgsql/data, and i transfered the folder to another
> server's /var/lib/pgsql/ folder and try to initialize postgres. But
> there seems to be a problem.

I found that most times it is a permission problem. Be sure that the
directory and files are owned by postgres and set the permissions on the
directory to 0700. The other thing to check is if the postmaster.pid is
in that directory. If you try to start it with that postmaster.pid file
there it will fail believing there is another instance running. Also, on
the new box, be sure that the identd service is running and also that
the postgres account is there. You don't give much detail about the new
box, so I am throwing a lot out here. Also, check the shmmax parameter.
That may need to be increased. The best source to find what the issue is
of course the log file. If you haven't set up to keep that in the data
directory, it can be found in /var/log/postgresql.
Hope something there helps. I have been doing postgres for almost a year
now. These are the issues I have run into, and trust me, I move a lot of
databases, up to 139gb.
Ed Croft, RHCE