Furnish, Trever G wrote:
Howdy, all,

I'm looking for recommendations on backup software, scsi controller, and
tape drive for use in backing up a single redhat server.  I'd prefer
something free but it needs to be low-overhead and reliable - hoping to keep
cost low (aren't we always?).

What software, controller, and tape drive works for you?  What would you
suggest or suggest avoiding?

-t.

You can get one of those external USB or Firewire IDE hard drive cases
pretty cheap nowadays, and BIG IDE hard disks are very inexpensive.
I would recommend one of those.  Then you have something that is
fast, random access, and is hot swappable.

IDE disks are only a little bit more expensive than good SCSI tapes
these days, and if you add in the cost of a SCSI HBA and a SCSI tape drive for a single server, buying 2 or three IDE drives would probably
be about the same cost.

There is a "rsync backup howto" out there that works great for
keeping rotating backups that don't use much disk space at all,
but are very easy to manage.

-Ben.