On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Jason Williams wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I am currently working on mail server, running Postfix 2.0.12, which was
> installed via RPM from the following link:
>
> http://postfix.wl0.org/en/
>
> So here are my questions: (Bare with me...im fairly new to all of this)
>
> 1.) It appears that I am going to need to do one of two things to be able
> to add a few features that I would like: Specifially, SASL support. To do
> that, I can do one of two things: Download the source tarball and go
> through the all thing: OR, I can download the src.rpm available, and
> configure a few options of my own, correct?

I do the later (src rpm).  And is my preference.

Just out of curiousity what does "rpm -qi postfix" show?

> 2.) Currently, my mail server is working the way I would like it to be. I
> have setup my main.cf and master.cf and it is doing what I want it to do.

I smell a trick question here.

> 3.) What is the best way I can go about re-installing postfix, to add new
> features, and at the same time, make sure I do not lose any important
> information? I already backed up my main.cf and master.cf...is there
> anything else that I can do?

Again, in keeping with "the rpm way".
rpm -Uvh postfix-newversion.i386.rpm.

and of course. making a backup of your main.cf, master.cf, access,
virtual, relay-domains, and possibly transport and others prior to
upgrading the rpm.