Edward Dekkers wrote:
Please bear with me with my limited IPTables knowledge.

When I first set up a server, I saw a few samba logs with computer names I did not recognise.

Immediately I dropped all netbios packets (137-139) on the INPUT chain coming from ppp0. The problem dissappeared.

I find though, that while browsing my smb LAN, that it is VERY slow when a lot of internet activity is going on over the modem. My guess is that it stills send out 'probing request' (for want of a better term) TO the ppp0 device, and my guess is the slowness is because of the wait for time-out.

What is the right course of action here for fixing the speed?

Do I DROP or DENY netbios packets?

I'm assuming I need to do this on either the FORWARD or OUTPUT chain? Which one is better/more efficient? And I assume the condition will be 'where the destination = ppp0'

TIA

Regards,
Ed.

In your /etc/smb.conf file you can specify which interfaces to run the daemon on.

Do "man smb.conf" and search for "interfaces"

-Ben.