From: Rodolfo J. Paiz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 11:17 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HP Deskjet shared on Samba, Windows users denied access

Hi!

I am trying to centralize my home onto one Linux server. In my current list
of issues, most important is getting the printer to work. The printer is an
HP Deskjet 970Cxi, connected to my Red Hat 9 server via the parallel port
(this machine has slightly flaky USB, but someday I'll try to change over).
I have successfully configured this printer in CUPS using
redhat-config-printer, and I can print to it from StarOffice, Evolution,
and Mozilla on the same server.

However, if I try to print to it from a Windows 2000 computer, I get
"access denied" errors. I do exist as a user to Samba in smbpasswd, and I
can see and share files via Samba from the Win2K computer to the Samba
server, so Samba authentication is not the problem (I think).

Below are the relevant parts of my smb.conf file... can anyone see what
I've done wrong?

[global]
    workgroup = CASA.PAIZ.ORG
    server string = Samba Server

# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    load printers = yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx, cups
    printing = cups

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
    security = user

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

==============================
# The publicly accessible music directory, but read only except for rpaiz
[music-wav]
    comment = Master Music Directory - WAV
    path = /music/wav
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    printable = no
    write list = rpaiz

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
    public = yes
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    printable = yes